Thursday, January 10, 2013

Several Cool Updates

Hi again, everyone! Remember how last time I said I really wanted to focus on my modeling, texturing, and lighting skills? Well, I just got done doing a lot of practice with those last two. I went through an intense learning weekend where I learned a lot about composition, lighting, and Cycles. In fact, I learned so much that I decided to update all of my old models (except for the Bunny and Bobcat). I've given them all new materials to allow them to render in Cycles, and I've exported them all into .fbx format! I'm especially excited about that last part, because now I can use one of my favorite rigs, my great white shark, in Maya!

I'm also very excited about the updates because of how snazzy all my models look with their new materials and Cycles' better way of rendering. I don't know why I stuck with Blender Internal for so long, I should have switched to Cycles the day it came out! Anyhow, I thought you all might be interested to see the contrast between my old renders and my new renders of the same models. Keep in mind that a lot of the sub-par quality of the Blender Internal renders comes from me just not knowing enough about materials and lighting, something that I've improved on a lot (though I've still got tons to learn). I know of many people who can make stunning renders with Internal, so it's not like it's a bad renderer.

Anyway, here are the images! Old images on the top, new images on the bottom.

Great White Shark

I tried to recreate the pose of the original. I love how the lighting in the new one shows off the shark's jaw musculature.

Queen Anne Wing Chairs

 I didn't like how the old version had no feeling of presence. I used what I learned about composition and focal length (I went a bit lower than the traditional 35 mm) to create a much more impressive looking scene in the new version.

Jade Canine 
This is the only case where I still really like the Blender Internal version. A lot of jade does look like the new version, just like a lot looks like the old version, but I just think all the color variation in the old version looks cool.
Cartoony Hammerhead Shark 

 
I like how the highlights are more defused in the new version. I changed the pose to point the other direction because I realized having it point the other way was pointing the viewer away from the next images.

 Screwdrivers and Screws
 These renders are probably the most similar of the bunch. But I think the bottom one has better lighting and a better composition.

Wine and Bar Glasses 
Major change with this one. The biggest is probably the end of the dark blue lighting. And the bottles have some nice reflections going on.

So that's it! Now that I've finished this, I'm going to go back to making new models. I don't think I'll set them up for Blender Internal anymore, though. I read that development on it was discontinued years ago, anyway.

As always, you can get all of these models here, but now you can get them in FBX format, along with the usual OBJ and BLEND.

Until next time!

No comments :

Post a Comment