Thursday, July 26, 2012

How to Draw Dogs: The Best of the Internet

Now that I've given my own tips on how to draw dogs in my two part tutorial (Part 1, Part 2) and my tips on how to draw animals, let's take a look at what other people have to say on the subject of making dog art. I've always found that the best way to learn how to do something artistic, aside from practice, is get various perspectives on the subject. However, it can be hard to find any good tutorials that go beyond simple how-tos for kids, which is why I hope this list will be helpful. If there are any good ones you think I've left out, feel free to leave a comment linking to them!

How to Draw a Dog

The Best How to Draw Dogs Tutorials

Please note that in general I don't suggest using tutorials that just teach you how to draw one type of dog in one type of pose, which is why you won't find any here. These can be helpful (and fun) when you're starting out, but you're soon going to want to draw a different dog in a different pose. The only way to learn how to do that is to learn at least some basic anatomy and practice from photos or life (this is how I learned). Step by step how-tos will only take you just so far. I also don't suggest using the grid system, unless you plan on only ever doing pet portraits. It's a very helpful system, but doesn't teach you much about anatomy, which can restrict you later if you want to do any imaginative art.

  1. Canine Anatomy Tutorial- This tutorial by Photografever gives a great introduction to canine anatomy and how to use it in relation to posing, without any major skeleton or muscle study required.
  2. How to Draw and Shade a Dog Sketch- Shows how to use a phot reference, and gives a short discussion how to see form with light and shadow and how to add fur texture.
  3. How to Draw Mammal Legs- A great tutorial by Elruu that explains the do's and dont's of posing animal (mainly canine) legs.
  4. Dog Pose Tutorial- A great guide to dog body language and expressions by SleepingDeadGirl.
  5. Canine Ear Variations- Dalmatianluver drew some great dog ear references, showcasing the many different types from different angles.
  6. Fur Tutorial (Traditional Art) (Digital Art)- Two different tutorials about how to draw fur, since I didn't cover it. These are very detailed and helpful (I've used both).
  7. Basic Animal Anatomy- by Majnouna. There's a canine in the third row, but I suggest you read everything because there is some great information in this guide.
  8. Dog Teeth Tutorial- This tutorial by WolfPearl goes very in depth into things regarding dog teeth. This is a good read if you're studying dog anatomy seriously.
  9. Canine Hind Paw and Forepaw Studies- These aren't exactly tutorials, but if you're wondering what type of art to make when studying dog anatomy, these studies by ArnaThornwolf are great examples. They also are great references of different paw angles and poses.
  10. Canine Anatomy Illustrations- I linked to this collection in my tutorials, but it's so helpful that I'm putting it here, too. This isn't a tutorial, but it is my main guide to animal anatomy (canine anatomy begins on the page with images 37-48; "der hund" = the dog). Using this can save you the money you'd normally have to put into buying a decent animal anatomy book. And seeing as how this came from a veterinary anatomy book, you can be sure all the illustrations are scientifically accurate.

Doberman Digital Artwork
An example of dog art from my portfolio

If you have a tutorial you think I should add, leave a link in the comments and I'll take a look at it. And if you're in need of any dog drawing inspiration, in my next post I'm going to show you tons of great dog art (and great dog artists).

Until next time!

No comments :

Post a Comment