Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Awesome Art Quotes Pt. 1

Hi, guys! I'm in the midst of a cool online project that I hope to be able to reveal to you in a week or two. As I work through it, which includes doing a lot of research and typing, I've found that keeping your motivation high is critical. That's why this week's theme is motivation. I found some great art-related quotes that I think will help keep your artistic motivation high, or at least give you something to think about. Some are by artists, and some are by other creative people. Here's the first set of quotes.


  1. "A great artist is always before his time or behind it."- George Edward Moore
  2. "An artist never really finishes his work, he merely abandons it."- Paul Valery
  3. "Art begins with resistance- at the point where resistance is overcome. No human masterpiece has ever been created without great labor"- Andre Gide
  4. "Art is not a study of positive reality, it is the seeking for ideal truth."- John Ruskin.
  5. "Art is not a thing; it is a way."- Elbert Hubbard
  6. "It is art that makes life, makes interest, makes importance and I know of no substitute whatever for the force and beauty of its process."- Max Eastman.
  7. "Art is the only way to run away without leaving home."- Twyla Tharp
  8. "Art is the unceasing effort to compete with the beauty of flowers- and never succeeding."- Gian Carlo Menotti
  9. "Drawing is like making an expressive gesture with the advantage of permanence."- Henri Matisse
  10. "Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep."- Scott Adams

I hope this was motivational, inspiring, and/or just plain interesting. I'll post the rest of the quotes on Thursday, then wrap up the week on Friday with a Best Of of some sort. By the way, I often tweet motivational quotes on my Twitter.

No comments :

Post a Comment